Level 1 Award H&S
Based in Bridgend, South Wales – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 07817576771
It is now necessary to attain a Health & Safety qualification as well as passing the construction site certificate scheme test (CSCS), devised by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB).
- Learners will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test in order to apply for the CSCS card
NOCN LEVEL 1 AWARD – HEALTH AND SAFETY IN A CONSTRUCTION ENVIRONMENT
The Level 1 Award, Health & Safety in a Construction Environment course is listed on the CSCS website as an accepted qualification.
- This is a 1 day course. There is essential pre-course reading of approximately 2-4 hours and relevant multiple choice questions to prepare for the day course
- Availability is weekly.
- This qualification is aimed at learners who currently work, or want to work, in construction.
- Assessment is via a portfolio of worksheets. The course is self-paced with each participant using headphones and listening to pre-recorded presentations. The tutor is in attendance at all times for support and guidance. Participants need to be able to write in their own words to answer the questions on each topic in the workbook when instructed to do so.
- Successful completion of this qualification will enable learners to apply to sit the Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) Green Card Test. Once passed the green card can be applied for. The card allows access to construction sites in the UK as a non-skilled worker.
Core topics of the Level 1 Award
- Risk assessment and method statements, accident reporting, hazard and risk
- Manual handling
- Working at height
- Risks to health within a construction environment.
- Working around plant and equipment safely
It is important to note that this course provides a lifetime qualification, it does not have to be repeated. Both companies and individuals should check this carefully. Many alternative courses require the learner to re-sit every 3 years. This is often not disclosed to learners when they apply to join a course. (CSCS requires a re-sit every 5 years, giving learners the opportunity to up date their health and safety knowledge when they renew their card).
CSCS TUTORIAL / COACHING SESSIONS
A 3 hour session for those needing to prepare for the multiple choice CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.
Includes topics from the level 1 award (as listed above), plus new learning
- First Aid
- Electrical Safety
- Fire HazardS
- Confined Spaces
- Environment And Waste
The session also includes knowledge checks and mock tests. It has proved very successful at boosting readiness for the externally set CSCS test.
- Presentations covering information and guidance on the test.
- The Setting Out video (Recommended by the Construction Industry Training Board as pre-test viewing)
- A synopsis of the learning needed to pass the knowledge based questions.
- Multiple choice questions on the 16 core topics for operatives.
- Mock tests to establish readiness for the CSCS card test.